Welcome to Halvergate.Com

A little bit of History

Local Churches

Local Links

Contact Us


Your Local Business Could Advertise Here For FREE


The Church of Saint Peter & Saint Paul, Halvergate

The Church, is an ancient fabric of flint with stone quoins. It consists of nave, chancel, south porch, and square tower. The latter is 84 feet high, and commands and extensive view; it is of the Perpendicular style, contains a peal of six bells, and is surmounted by figures of the four evangelists. Here are several tablets of the Gillett and Bately families. In 1852 the tower was restored at a cost of 300; in 1857 the church was reseated with neat open benches; in 1862 new windows were inserted; and in 1877 the chancel was rebuilt and the nave newly roofed. The tower has some pretty specimens of 'sound' holes.

Whites's 1883 Norfolk


When the Church was built in the 13th century Halvergate was a village on the estuary of the River Yare. Built in the Perpendicular style it now stands eight miles from the coast, the marshes between the village and Great Yarmouth having been reclaimed from the sea durung the 16th & 17th centuries.

The roll call of incumbents displayed in the Church dates back to 1293. The Abbots of Tintern were the early patrons but in the 13th & 14th centuries patronage passed to the King and later the Bishop of Ely. It nows rests with the Bishop of Norwich. The present incumbent Rev. Damon Rogers is the 40th holder of that office.

The south doorway is one of the earliest parts of the Church. The figures on either side are the evanelists that once stood on the corners of the tower battlements.

The tower is 84 feet high and gives fine views from the top - reputedly as far as Cromer Church on a fine day with the help of binoculars. The magnificent six bells are frequently rung and produce a majestic and joyful sound.

The two stained-glass windows on either side of the nave are Victorian. There is a surviving fragment of an early 14th century stained-glass window depicting St. Christopher displayed in the Chancel above the altar - probably part of a much larger window destroyed in the Civil War on the instructions of Cromwell

The Organ was made by Norman and Beard and installed in 1906, this fine instrument cost 200.

Arguably the most interesting feature of the Church consists of three palimpsest brasses - a two sided brass with memorials on each side. The most interesting shows on one side a Fransiscan Monk from Great Yarmouth Fr. William Jernemouth (c1440) and on the other a woman the wife of Robert Swane (c1540). The Church also possesses fine 16th century chalices still used for Communion services.

The Church has recently undergone major renovation work to the roof and porch with the help of generous grants from English Heritage and the Norfolk Churches Trust.


The usual pattern of services each month is:

1st Sunday, Sung Morning Prayer (Matins) at 9:30am
3rd Sunday, Holy Communion, 9:30am
4th Sunday, Sunday Morning Prayer at 9:30am
5th Sunday, A group service for the Villages of Cantley, Freethorpe, Halvergate, Limpenhoe, Reedham and Wickhampton, 9:30am at one of the Churches.

NB:This pattern does change if there is a special date to celebrate during the month, so it is best to consult the notice board outside the Church or the notices in the Yarmouth Mercury

The 1662 Book of Common Prayer is used for most of the services and the Church Council have just become Corporate members of the Prayer Book Society.

Rector: Revd Martin Greenland
Church Wardens: Sally More & Nick Butcher

Halvergate Church is part of the Acle and Bure to Yare Benefice - for details about the Church, Services and events and an e-copy of Outlook Magazine, follow the link to abychurches


Homepage | News | Classifieds | Forum | Local Business | Local History | Local Links | Contact Us

All content copyright Halvergate.Com 2003 - 2010